"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Do Not Judge


This morning our church started a DVD series by Andy Stanley called "Judgement Call." He spoke this morning about

Matthew 7:1-5,
"Do not judge lest you be judged.
For in the way you judge, you will be judged;
and by your standard of measure,
it will be measured to you.
And why do you look at the speck
that is in your brother's eye,
but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?
Or how can you say to your brother,
'Let me take the speck out of your eye,'
and behold, the log is in your own eye?
You hypocrite,
first take the log out of your own eye,
and then you will speak clearly
to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

Andy Stanley pointed out that whatever is bothering us about other people may very well bother Jesus too; but why does it bother me? Does it bother me because I have the same problem? Is there a trace of any of that sin in me? Until I get the log out of my own eye I will push the other person deeper into their sin, but if I have the log out of my eye then I may be in the perfect position to confront them because I've been there.

Aaah. Wake up call.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the encouragement. I am struggling with an issue and this will help me see if i have a log in my eye.